History & Attractions
A Brief History of Brunswick
In 1883, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) chose Brunswick as the site for its railroad facilities and a crucial refueling point for westbound trains. This location provided a much-needed stop between Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and the various Baltimore terminals.
The town’s land was acquired from local residents, who were content with its status as a quiet C&O Canal town, but happy to profit from the sale of property. Subsequently, the B&O Railroad came to own most of the town, which at that time had a population of around 200.
The name Brunswick was incorporated in 1890, and the freight yard opened in the month of May, leading to a substantial influx of residents. Within ten years of the yard being opened, Brunswick’s population increased to approximately 2,500 people. On account of the expanding community, the B&O allotted more land to be used for infrastructure and recreation. By 1910, the estimated population had nearly doubled to 5,000.
The town continued to prosper as a company town until the mid-1950s, which heralded the transition from steam- to diesel-powered engines, resulting in the termination of freight-yard operations and the subsequent end of the railroad boom. Today, Brunswick is the fifth-largest municipality in Frederick County, boasting over six-thousand (6,000) people who call it home.

