Call to Artists
Examples of Temporary Public Art:
About the Project:
The vision of the Main Street Public Art Project is to celebrate Frederick County’s downtowns, to create linkages between the five communities and to highlight the connections between their agricultural communities and downtowns—both today and into the future.
This project calls for public art installations that are active for one year. The pieces should be exploratory and experimental in nature and could engage with one or more senses. In this case, the temporary art pieces should be removable after a year or be composed of materials that only have a lifespan of a year. The goals of the project are the following:
- To highlight both the common threads of the Main Streets (what makes them “Frederick County”) and the uniqueness of each Main Street.
- To encourage locals and tourists to visit and appreciate the offerings in each of the Main Street
- To engage dialogue with the community about art and how it can enhance public spaces
Please note that the deadline for the proposals has been changed to July 31st at 5:00PM. All applications must be sent to Susie Leong at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please contact Susie at 301.455.4487 or email the above address.
- One Artist/Team will be selected to provide five (5) temporary public art pieces, one for each of the Main Street sites. These must be five (5) unique public art pieces.
- Total budget for the project is $38,750
- All professional Artists or Artist Teams living within 80 miles of Frederick County are welcome to apply
- The Selection Committee (comprised of Main Street representatives and art professionals) will review all applications and select up to five (5) Finalist Artists or Artist Teams. The Finalists will be invited to develop proposals for the five sites. Each Finalist will receive an honorarium of $200.
To apply, please review and download the below attachment:
CALL TO ARTISTS Frederick Main Street Project